Establish Proper Brushing Habits to Prevent Fluorosis
Parents can use the following 6 techniques & guidelines recommended by the CDC to help prevent the growth of dental fluorosis in their children while using fluoridated toothpaste (11):
1. Supervise your children when they brush to ensure they are not swallowing
2. Limit tooth brushing to two times per day
3. Keep fluoride toothpaste and other dental products out of reach to avoid ingestion
4. Avoid mouthwash in children under age six
5. Consider using the “smear” technique in children younger than age three to lessen the risk of overexposure
6. Limit the amount of toothpaste to “pea-sized” for children aged three to six
Being vigilant during your children’s brushing routine is key to preventing fluorosis. Awareness of the potential consequences of too much fluoride and what impact this can have on the development of teeth is a great first step.
Following this guide can help ensure your whole family is on the right path in maintaining healthy dental hygiene.
Read on to learn about the benefits of choosing Fluoride-Free toothpaste.