Know This Before Brushing Your Child's Teeth
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that more than 38 percent of children between the ages of three and six use too much toothpaste, putting them at risk of ingesting excessive amounts of fluoride (1). Moreover, children younger than six years old have poor swallowing reflexes and tend to ingest much of the toothpaste on their brush (2). To top it off, many toothpastes are flavored to accommodate our children’s sensitive palates and include flavors like bubble gum, strawberry, orange, and watermelon which can entice children to swallow even more willingly. While typical symptoms of fluoride ingestion are mild, there are detrimental dental consequences every parent should be aware of (3).
Here is what you should know if your child accidentally swallows toothpaste or mistakes it for food.